Success is Inner Happiness!
How we judge, view and experience ourselves will affect our success. Without healthy self-esteem we are unable to achieve our goals or dreams. We are trapped by self-doubt, anxiety, critical self-talk, fear of failure, martyrdom, perfectionism, addictions and avoidance.
Healthy self-esteem is the stepping-stone to success and can enable you to:
- feel comfortable in your own skin
- have a clear view of where you are going in life
- know what you truly value and believe.
- live a life of integrity.
- feel safe and secure
- trust your ability to think, learn, choose and make good decisions
- be confident in your skills
- be respected and trusted
- be worthy of love
- have close, intimate relationships
- know your capabilities and what you find difficult
- take on challenges and step outside your comfort zone
- have a sense of purpose and direction
- feel confident you can get what you need in life
- experience a sense of flow and fulfilment
- realise your responsibilities and your boundaries
- feel a sense of belonging
Self esteem changes throughout time in line with our feelings of success or failure. Ongoing maintenance to our self-esteem is essential to maximise our ability to live full and meaningful lives.
A few ideas for raising your Self Esteem:
Be Your Own Best Friend
A best friend chooses to highlight your strengths, not your weaknesses. A best friend supports, praises, enthuses about you and loves you. If you tend to be rather self-effacing this is a great exercise. Just say to yourself, what would my best friend say to me now! I suspect she would say: You are brilliant, you are capable, clever, funny, kind, caring and deserving of love. It’s so easy to blame yourself and put yourself down. Decide today to take your best friend’s perspective and be as kind to yourself as you are to them.
Overhaul Your Wardrobe
Just as we grow, age, develop and experience, so our wardrobe needs to reflect our transitions. Our clothes are a reflection of our inner selves and allow us to express this. Clothes can help our confidence. Hanging on to out of fashion, ill fitting or worn out clothing does nothing to enhance your self-esteem. A great sense of purpose, control and achievement can be felt in sorting out your wardrobe. We may keep many loved items but with thought we can reduce and rejuvenate not only our wardrobe but also ourselves.
Try Something New
Sometimes people feel “stuck in a rut” and don’t know how to get out of it. As we grow older our lives fall in to habitual patterns. This is comfortable and predictable but can become boring and un-inspiring. Look for a new experience to add some excitement, creativity, spontaneity or fun to your life. This will make you feel more alive. You may have always wanted to try something, well go for it – its time to live!